Search for property
Logo
Jean Richer & Irene Bilinski
Bilingual Sales Representatives

Morrisburg

Morrisburg is a village that is part of the Township of South Dundas, located in Eastern Ontario, along the St. Lawrence River.

On November 11, 1813, the Battle of Crysler's Farm, at which a British force repelled an invading American army, took place near what was later to be called Morrisburg. United Empire Loyalist settlers settled in Dundas County creating West Williamsburg and was part of the Williamsburg Canal project. Between 1843 and 1856, canals were built on the north side of the St. Lawrence River. West Williamsburg was renamed Morrisburg in 1851 in honour of Brockville, Ontario politician, James Morris, who was named the first Postmaster General of the United Province of Canada. Incorporated as a village in 1860, Morrisburg had a growing manufacturing base consisting of a gristmill, a carding mill and a fanning mill. 

During the 1950s, portions of Morrisburg were relocated because of expected flooding caused by the St. Lawrence Seaway project. Over 80 homes were moved and the entire downtown business district was demolished and relocated in a shopping plaza. The Canadian National Railway line was moved 1.1 kilometers north of its original location. Much of the former railbed was used for reconstructing the Highway 2. Buildings and other artifacts were moved and assembled to create Upper Canada Village, a tribute to the area's pioneers.

In 1997, Morrisburg was amalgamated with the Village of Iroquois, Matilida and Williamsburg Townsnips into the Township of South Dundas.

For additional information concerning real estate in Morrisburg, contact one of our Ottawa Living Real Estate Sales Representatives at 613.288.9144.