Search for property
Logo
Jean Richer & Irene Bilinski
Bilingual Sales Representatives

Carleton Place

Carleton Place (population: 9,000+) is a town in eastern Ontario,  in the County of Lanark, about one half-hour (38 km) west of Ottawa on the Central Ontario (Highway 7) route of the Trans-Canada Highway. It is located at the crossroads of Highway 15 and Highway 7, midway between the town of Perth and the nation's capital, Ottawa. Bridge Street, Carleton Place, Ontario.Carleton Place, originally known as Morphy's Falls, was chosen as a mill site by Edmond Morphy in 1819. It is located on the Mississippi River, a tributary of the Ottawa River. It became a village in 1870, and a town in 1890. The name later given to the settlement was actually "Carlton Place" after the street in Glasgow, but the spelling was altered in 1829. Both textile and lumber mills flourished here, but none are still operating. The Findlay Foundry operated in Carleton Place from the 1860's to 1974, making cast iron cookware and woodstoves. Some of the designs created by this company are still being made by another company. Today, the remaining mill buildings house condominiums and "high-tech" industry. Some of the attractions of Carleton Place and surrounding area include Riverside Jam, Carleton Place Dragon Boat Festival, Morphy's Falls Heritage Festival, Carleton Place Canoe Club, Victoria School Museum, Canada Veteran's Hall of Valour, and of course the Mississippi River.